Lame Blog: 10 Reasons Why Your Blog Sucks
Wondering why your blog’s not getting traffic? Put a poll on it and ask your readers if they think it sucks, and then ask them why. Chances are it will be at least one of the following ten reasons.
- It’s cluttered with ads: Everybody knows that blogs have to have ads to make money and everybody knows there are expenses involved with blogging. So your readers are willing to accept the fact that you have ads on your blog. But they’ve come to your blog for information and if they can’t find it because your blog is cluttered with ads … well, there’s a limit to what they’ll accept.
- You ramble too much: Get to the point. In fact, you’ll have better results if you start with the point and use as few words as possible to elaborate.
- You talk about you too much: Unless you’re running a personal blog your readers really don’t care what you had for breakfast or what your favorite drink is at Starbucks. They also don’t care how wonderful you are, how successful you are or how sexy your fiance is.
- Your content is obviously not original: Blogs have been around for quite some time now and readers know when they’re being handed content that’s copied from an article directory or it’s been spun out a few thousand times. Either be original and unique or go home.
- Your spelling and grammar are atrocious: There’s no crime in being poor at spelling and grammar. The crime occurs when you publish it on your blog and expect your readers to believe you care about their needs.
- You don’t post often enough: If you’re not posting at least once a week then you’re not really concerned about your readers. It’s obvious you’re not worried if they come back if you’re going to keep serving them the same cold dish day after day after day…
- You’re not consistent: Your readers have other things to do and a lot of them make time to visit your blog and they do it on a regular schedule. Post three days in a row, take a week off, post four days in a row, take three days off… they’ll never be able to plan ahead.
- It hurts my eyes: Those bright colors and flashing banners bother my eyes but those purple or black backgrounds with a white font actually hurt. I’d love to read your content but I can’t right now. My eyes are busy popping out of my head.
- It’s NSFW: A lot of your readers visit your blog while they’re at work. If videos automatically open when they hit your page then their boss might hear it. And pictures of naked people or animals doing disgusting things? Not. Safe. For. Work. If you have to use it, put it behind a jump and warn your readers ahead of time.
- It’s just plain boring: Yawn. You write like you work for Encyclopedia Britannica and you never have any videos or cool images. I might as well be reading Wikipedia.
When you're learning how to make money blogging, you need to understand that the very first step is to create a website. If you're interested in starting your own blog, I have written a step-by-step guide that will show you how to start a successful blog for as little as $3.49 per month (this low price is guaranteed only through my link). You will also receive your own domain name for free ($15 value) by clicking on this link and purchasing at least 12 months of hosting with BlueHost. Keep in mind that if you're learning how to make money off a blog, the first thing you need is your own self-hosted website. It will help you look more professional in front of your visitors, clients, companies, and everyone else.