It’s one thing to have an occasional bout of blogger’s block, but if you find yourself cringing every time you sit down at your desk, then maybe it’s because you’re blogging about the wrong topic. There’s a reason everyone recommends you choose a topic you’re passionate about. Being passionate can transform your blog and your entire blogging experience.
Your blog is like an online conversation with your friends, so think about how you interact when you and your friends are all gathered together. If they’re all talking about politics but it’s not really something you’re passionate about, you don’t get too excited and you don’t contribute much to the conversation.
But as soon as the conversation switches to the March Madness Play-Off brackets your eyes light up and you’re spouting off stats and averages like an expert. You can’t wait until it’s your turn to speak again and you already know what you’re going to say. And your friends all feel your excitement and want to be part of the conversation, too.
Now, turn back to your blog. Are you really sharing and participating in the conversation, or are you only phoning it in because maybe you’re not quite as passionate about that topic as you thought?
What are you passionate about right now?
Don’t think about earning potential and don’t think about how much competition is out there. Don’t even think about content ideas at this point. Sit down and make a list of everything you’re passionate about right now and you might be surprised at some of your hidden passions that turn up. For example:
- Are you constantly redecorating your apartment? Maybe you’re passionate about interior design and that might make a good blog topic.
- Do you spend every weekend at the stadium watching your favorite college football team?
- Do you enjoy seeing just how much money you can save every week at the grocery store?
- Do you spend every summer in your garden so you can enter your pumpkins at the State Fair?
- Do you enjoy knitting, painting, woodworking, mathematics, psychology, high school soccer games, bowling, cooking on a grill, riding a bike, walking your dog, and the list goes on forever!
So many bloggers start thinking about their passions and then they think, “Awww, nobody’s gonna be interested in that.” But that’s not true. It’s your passion that draws people into the conversation. It’s your passion that makes your content exciting and interesting. Just look at the number of Knitting blogs on the Internet. Surely, everyone on the planet isn’t interested in knitting, yet for those bloggers knitting is one of their passions. It shows in their writing and that’s what attracts readers.
So, if you’re having a difficult time coming up with things to write about, and if your writing isn’t really attracting any readers, maybe it’s time to take a look at your passions and transform your blog into an exciting, interesting conversation.