It’s time for a quick recap of June!
With coronavirus being still around and many countries under lockdown, I didn’t see any particular rebound in ad rates on most of my sites.
There is a silver lining with this situation: distractions are at an all-time low if you want to focus on work, and that’s exactly what I’m planning to capitalize on.
My main focus is still to publish as much content as possible on my site #5. I’m not seeing any particular bump in traffic and revenue so far for this site since I started my big push for content, but I’m keeping my eyes on the ball.
I know that it takes time between the moment you publish a piece of content on a website and the moment Google starts sending traffic to it.
Having published some fresh content starting in April/May, I still expect 1 to 3 months of low traffic before these articles start bringing in decent traffic.
With that being said, my operation is now as lean as it can get: my hosting plan is prepaid for the next 2 years, and I have Aweber to manage my email lists (that I clean up regularly to remove inactive subscribers to keep my costs as low as possible), and that’s it.
Let’s take a look at the growth of my various projects:
After 3 months of overall traffic going down, I finally see an uptick! 1,500 more sessions than previous month is not a big number, it’s going in the right direction. Slow growth is still growth.
In terms of revenue, the most notable change in June was the rebound for project 4. It was hit real hard in May because of Amazon slashing of its affiliate commissions, and it’s encouraging to see that number go up, even so slightly.
What about the money?
Here is a summary of the money flow for my various projects.
To make this report easier to understand, I’m using a simple color code: green numbers are positive, red numbers are negative.
Please keep in mind that these figures may not be 100% accurate due to various factors such as refund requests and network adjustments. The terms for each payment may also vary. As a result, these numbers may differ from the actual payments issued and received.
My content spending increased significantly compared to the previous month. The idea is simple: content that’s not published is not making money.
I have decided on a budget I want to spend on new content for project 5. The conservative approach would be to split that budget in small chunks to minimize my losses today, but that means a part of that new content will be published only in 7 or 8 months, then it will need an extra 3 to 6 months to bring in traffic from Google… See the idea?
I might as well spend that money as fast as possible in the next few months, and hopefully speed up the money-making part of this process. There is a chance I’ll have to re-evaluate my strategy next month, but until then it’s full steam ahead!
What’s happening next?
Next is more of the same: publishing as much content as possible on project 5.
Apart from that, I’m considering switching themes on a couple of my sites to make it even easier to handle all my projects. I’m currently using a bunch of themes that I’ve developped myself based on my needs, and I would like to unify everything under just 1 or 2 themes for easier maintenance.
My main goal for the next 3 to 6 months is to diversify my revenue. When Amazon updated their affiliate program at the end of April, my revenue took a hit and it threw a monkey wrench in my projects. I don’t want to be so reliant on a single income source anymore, so I’m working on growing my advertising revenue.
Stay tuned for the next update!