You can’t make a penny as an email marketer unless you’ve got a list to send your messages out to. In this post you’ll find five top tips that you can use to grow your email list.
- Add an opt-in box to your website. It sounds pretty simple, and it is, but this is the very first step that you should be taking when it comes to email marketing. If your website is getting some decent traffic, you can probably start building yourself a very nice little list.
- Offer an incentive. You’ll find that people aren’t going to just join your emailing list off their own back – they’ll want a reward for the inconvenience. Even though they just have to type in their email address, people tend to be pretty lazy. Therefore, it’s up to you to incentivize it for them! Offer them an amazing free eBook if they sign up to your mailing list, or give them some other proposition that they just can’t refuse.
- Solo Ads and Ad Swaps. It might sound crazy swapping lists with someone else, or paying to message subscribers on someone else’s list – but there’s method in the madness! Write a message describing why those people should join your mailing list too – and give them a link to an opt-in box so that they can do so, if they wish. This is a really good way of building a list.
- Promote your opt-in box on social media. Any exposure is good exposure, right? So, promote your opt-in box on social media in order to garner some new sign ups – it really works!
- Build a squeeze page and throw traffic at it using PPC. This is actually a really good way to build a list in a relevant field. Throw up a three or four page website with a well crafted squeeze page (obviously and opt-in box is required on it). Then throw some highly targeted PPC traffic at that page and hey Presto – you’ll have a list in no time! Just remember the signups will probably need to incentivized, and PPC can be very, very expensive.
The important thing is that you take action, if you don’t, you’ll never have a list and you’ll never make any money in email marketing. Of all the ways to make money online, email marketing is probably one of the hardest to master.
That said, once you have your own list and it’s well established, you’ll find that promoting products is really easy. It’s literally just a case of rinse and repeat.
Once you’ve got people on your list it’s important that you keep them on it. Remember all they need to do is press the “unsubscribe” button and they’ll be gone forever. It’s important that you go out of your way to forge a bond and a personal connection with each and every list subscriber. It’s time consuming for sure, but it’s also extremely profitable.