I like those conversations about nature vs. nurture. Are people born creative or do the acquire creativity somehow? Do they just wake up one morning and say, “I want to be creative” and BOOM! They’re creative? I’m not a scientist and I wouldn’t have a clue where to look for the definitive answer, but I do have a list of nine attitudes of highly creative people. If you weren’t born with them, maybe you can acquire them somehow.
1. The ability to think outside the box – Creative people seem to have this amazing ability to look at a problem from many, many different angles and come up with solutions most people wouldn’t even dream of.
2. They’re discontent – Creative people also seem to be aware when there’s something wrong, something that needs to be fixed. No matter what it is, they always want to make something better. They’re not obsessed by these problems. Rather, they enjoy the constant challenge.
3. Perseverance – They never give up. They firmly believe that for every problem there is a solution and that every goal can be reached if you just keep your nose to the grindstone.
4. Problems are opportunities – Years ago I walked into my bosses office and I said, “Sir, I have a problem.” And he said, “No, you don’t. You have an opportunity.” Since then, whenever I’ve felt that I couldn’t solve a problem, I stop and look at it as an opportunity. An opportunity to learn something new and come out on the other side better for having met the challenge.
5. The don’t waste time judging – Creative people don’t care who broke the whatsit, or who caused the problem, all they care about is fixing it so they can get on with their life. No sense crying over spilled milk. Just wipe it up and move on.
6. They’re always optimistic – Creative people just simply believe that there’s a solution for every problem. They’re often accused of looking at the world through rose-colored glasses – by only by grumpy people who don’t have a creative bone in their body.
7. They face challenges head on – You can sit back and worry and fret and stress about a problem or you can take the bull by the horns and fix it. And that’s exactly what creative people do.
8. Problems are normal and interesting – Creative people understand that problems are a normal part of life. In fact, to them, the world would be a very boring place without the challenges of problems. Obviously, they’re such positive people they don’t look for problem, but when problems pop up, they look forward to fixing them.
9. They’re always curious – Creative people are always saying, “I wonder…” I wonder if there’s a faster way to do this? I wonder if there’s a better way to do this? I wonder how he does that?
If you don’t have at least one of these nine attitudes of highly creative people then choose one today and nurture it. If I were you I’d start with number four because it completely changed my outlook and I know it’ll change yours, too. We creative people have no problems, we only have opportunities.