What’s a SWOT analysis?
Why, we’re going to analyze your blog’s Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats, and I promise it’ll be relatively painless.
A SWOT analysis is actually a strategic tool that businesses have been using for many years, so it’s not just some blogging term I just made up off the top of my head.
Before you can find the strengths and weaknesses in your blog you have to define your blogging goals: What is it you want your blog to accomplish and why are you blogging?
Once you have a vague idea about your blogging goals, you can start going through your SWOT analysis:
- What makes your blog stand out from your competition?
- What are you doing well yourself?
- Do you have skills, resources or assets you can pull from?
- What do you do better than the next guy?
- What skills are you lacking?
- What interests are you lacking?
- What obstacles might be preventing you from achieving your goals?
- Take a look at blog elements, too.
- Did you choose a poor domain name? Are you using a SEO-friendly theme?
- Fill in the blanks: If I had ______, my blog could do _____.
- What trends are on the rise?
- What’s everybody talking about today?
- If you have a big block of spare time coming up this might be the perfect time to write that ebook.
- Be aware at all times, and learn to think outside the box to quickly recognize opportunities.
- Who is your competition?
- Are your competitors doing anything that would be problematic for your blog?
- Is there too much competition in your niche?
- Are you putting your blog at risk with the search engines?
Once you have completed your SWOT Analysis, analyze all your responses.
Then, it’s time to put it all together and plan your strategy.
First, look at where you are now and where you want to be in the future.
Now, how do you plan to arrive at that destination.
That’s how you define your plan for success.
What did your blog SWOT analysis reveal about your blog?
What were your strengths and weaknesses?
This is kind of an abstract post that may be difficult for some bloggers to grasp, so help a blogger out and discuss your results in the comments below.