If you’re the type to believe everything you read then you’re probably wondering why you’re not sitting on a pile of money right now, gazing at your new sports car parked off in the distance, while you plan your next tropical beach vacation. After all, that’s what they promised in that $7 ebook you bought, isn’t it? Anyone can do it! Well, here are 7 steps to affiliate marketing success that they probably forget to tell you.
- Do the research: Choosing to promote a product because it’s something you’re passionate about is a pretty risky way to do business if you stop and think about it. There might be billions of people surfing the net every day but if none of them are passionate about Purple Pen Caps then you’re not going to make any sales.
Successful affiliate marketers choose their products based on market analysis and research. Are there people out there interested in buying this product? How many competitors are already promoting the same or similar item? And if you find a promising product, look even closer to see how you competitors are promoting it. What can you do to stand out from the crowd?
- Do the work: Sure you can buy a site that’s ready to go and already making sales. But that costs money. If you’re starting out on a shoestring – like most bloggers are – then you need to knuckle down and do the work. You need to do the research, write content, write auto-responder emails, install an opt-in form, set up squeeze pages, write more content, do more research, write articles…
In other words, it’s never as easy as those $7 ebooks make it sound. It takes a lot of continuous, tedious work to be an affiliate marketing success and unless you’ve got a generous financial backer, you’re going to need to do it yourself.
- Generate a list: Even if you have 30,000 people a day visiting your site you still need to generate a list. Most visitors will not buy from you the first time they visit your site. They’ll need to come back a few times before they make that decision and they’re probably going to lose your address right after they leave your site. The only way to get them to come back is to give them your link. And since you’re working online, the only way to do that is to send it to them in an email. Don’t fight it. You need it. Bite the bullet and get is set up.
- Watch the trends: Klick-clackers were a popular toy back when I was a kid but you probably couldn’t give them away now. In order to be an affiliate marketing success you need to keep up with the trends. And technology and tastes change so fast these days that a hot-seller one day can be a dog the next. Stay on top of the trends in your niche so you can adjust your products and marketing approach accordingly. And don’t be afraid to abandon a website if the product no longer sells. You have better things to do with your time than to spend it trying to revive a dead horse.
- Be consistent: A lot of your success depends on your consistency. You need to post fresh content on a regular basis, send out your emails regularly, check your links regularly. Too many affiliate marketers think that once a site starts making sales they can move on to something else. But keeping your content fresh and staying it touch with your subscribers is what keeps that traffic coming in.
- Learn how to market: Spend some time learning about marketing. Sure you have a nice looking blog but it’s the content that brings in the buyers and it’s your promotional content that convinces them to buy. The more you know about the psychology of marketing and the more you learn about the various marketing techniques, the more successful you’ll be.
- Learn SEO: It seems pretty obvious – you’re working online, on the Internet. And they way people find something on the Internet is by entering keywords into their search engine. If you think you can ignore search engine optimization and still be a successful affiliate marketer you’re wrong. It just won’t happen. Learn what SEO is and how to use it. And then keep learning. The search engines change their criteria every day and you need to keep up with the changes. SEO is one of the most important steps to your affiliate marketing success.