Urls Redirects: Free WordPress Plugin
Have you ever wondered how all the gurus websites you are visiting are having nice clean Urls to all their accounts and services? Here is a very useful 100% free WordPress Plugin to achieve just that.
I think that one of the first website where I encountered this type of Urls was John Chow blog. I’m speaking about Urls like the ones I am using to link to my Twitter account: http://dukeo.com/twitter , my Facebook account http://dukeo.com/facebook and all the other stuff I’m linking from my blog.
At first, I heard about a WordPress Plugin called “Link Ninja” or something like that, but you bet it, it was costing some money… After some research, I found this awesome plugin named “Redirection” which does just that.
Here is a list of features for this plugin:
- Automatically add a 301 redirection when a post’s URL changes
- Manually add 301, 302, and 307 redirections for a WordPress post, or for any other file
- Full regular expression support
- Apache .htaccess is not required – works entirely inside WordPress
- Strip or add www to all your WordPress pages
- Redirect index.php, index.html, and index.htm access
- Redirection statistics telling you how many times a redirection has occurred, when it last happened, who tried to do it, and where they found your URL
- Fully localized
- 404 error monitoring – captures a log of 404 errors and allows you to easily map these to 301 redirects
- Custom ‘pass-through’ redirections allowing you to pass a URL through to another page, file, or website
- Full logs for all redirected URLs
- All URLs can be redirected, not just ones that don’t exist
- Redirection methods – redirect based upon login status, redirect to random pages, redirect based upon the referrer!
The installation is really straightforward:
- Download redirection.zip
- Upload redirection directory to your /wp-content/plugins directory
- Go to the plugin management page and enable the plugin
- Configure the options from the Tools/Redirection page
On the options page, you can simply add new redirections as follow:
Now, you’ll have nice clean Urls for all the services you are linking to!