It’s hard to sort successful bloggers into little labeled cubby holes because everybody approaches their business in their own way. Place two blogs promoting the exact same product side by side and you’ll see distinct differences. While it’s not possible to categorize the bloggers themselves, they do all have similar characteristics. How many of these top 10 attributes of successful bloggers do you have?
- Tenacious: Successful bloggers never give up. They identify and chase after every bit of targeted traffic they can find. They’re constantly learning new skills and techniques. They work to develop their communication skills. And they’re always looking for creative ways to scale their business.
- Organized: Things-to-do lists for today, tomorrow, this week, this month, this year and long-term project lists are just the tip of the organization iceberg. Without the ability to organize and prioritize your blog is just a hobby.
- Consistent: While it’s important to post on a regular, consistent basis, it’s also important that you’re consistent in every aspect of your business, from delivering consistently killer content, to consistently interacting with your social networks, to consistently staying on top of marketing trends and trends within your niche.
- Expertise: Whether you’re blogging about celebrities, humorous memes or string theory, if you’re not an expert you can’t expect people to follow you. It’s also important to understand that you need to continue expanding your knowledge so you can keep your followers interested. Otherwise, once they learn everything you have to share, they’re going to move on to another blog.
- Creative: While there’s plenty of room for everybody there’s still a lot of competition out there. A successful blogger is able to develop creative marketing plans to make his blog stand out from all the others. This may mean developing your own unique marketing techniques or it might even mean creating your own products or services.
- Passionate: It’s not enough to be passionate about the topic of your blog, you have to be passionate about building a blogging business. There’s much more to blogging than just writing blog posts and you need to be able to approach all the tedious tasks with enthusiasm.
- Detail orientated: There are so many little details with any business and blogging is no different. In fact, in some cases, you’ll probably have even more little details to keep track of because most bloggers work alone. If you don’t know how to use a spreadsheet now, you will in the very near future.
- Connected: Successful bloggers understand the importance of networking with other bloggers and connecting with their audience. They also understand they need to reach out beyond the boundaries of their blog to do this.
- Engaging: Engaging content is the backbone of every successful blog and it’s up to you to learn what it is your audience is looking for. Engaging content keeps your reader on the page and gives them something to think about. When you start seeing comments and sharing you’ll know you’re engaging your audience.
- Forward-thinking: If you’re going to build a long-term business you need to be able to plan ahead, well into the future, so you can keep that business moving in the right direction. Always set short-term and long-term goals and as you near those goals, be prepared to set more.
What do you think? Let me know in the comments below!