The money is in the list, as internet marketers have repeatedly said. Building a strong, large, and responsive email list is one of the keys to success, whether you’re an affiliate marketer or selling your own products. However, it can be hard to pinpoint what exactly are the most important factors for building your email list.
Here’s a take on the five most important factors when building an email list:
- Sign up form placement. Have several places where readers can sign up on your website. The usual places are the top right hand corner and the bottom of every post. In addition to these, you might consider adding a pop over email sign up form, or sign up form combined with your commenting form (where readers can just check a box and sign up for your list at the same time as leaving a comment).
- Explain to readers why they should subscribe. The average internet surfer is asked to sign up for several email lists a day – what makes your’s different? Every time you have a sign up form, you need to emphasize the value that readers will get from subscribing, and tell them exactly why they should do it.
- Have an incentive. This makes it much easier for you to explain to readers exactly why they should subscribe. Work hard and come up with an incentive (also referred to as “cookie content”) to make readers want to subscribe – an amazing free ebook, for example.
- Spread the word. Having an amazing, value packed newsletter and incentive doesn’t do any good if nobody knows about it. When you complete your incentive, make a post dedicated to it and share it on your blog, with your explanation of why readers should sign up for your email list. Do a few guest posts and mention your email newsletter and incentive in your byline. Work at driving traffic specifically to your list.
- Make it easy for people to share. If you’re doing everything right, your subscribers will be enjoying your newsletter and the value they get out of it so much, they’ll want to share it with others who might be interested. Have an embedded link in your newsletter to share it on Facebook or Twitter, and have a small note at the bottom that says something like “If you enjoyed this newsletter, please talk about it!” near the links. You might also encourage readers to forward the newsletter to others who would enjoy it. Asking readers to share won’t hurt your sign up rates, because new viewers will want to get in on the action too, and are likely to sign up.
Doing all five of these things and making an honest effort at each one will help your email list grow by leaps and bounds. Remember to continuously provide value to your email list, so as to encourage current subscribers to stay subscribed. Good luck growing your list!
Start your list with Aweber for Only $1.00
If you do not have a list already, you should start building it right now! The best service provider for email list building is Aweber. They are currently offering a $1 trial account for all new customers. Your trial account will have the same functionnality as any Aweber account and includes unlimited email campaigns, newsletter, broadcasts and follow ups. Your satisfaction is 100% guaranteed. If you are not satisfied with Aweber service, you can contact them within 30 days and they will even give you the $1 back!