Playful Blogging: The Secret For More Activity On Your Blog
When’s the last time you sat down a read your own blog?
Not just the post you published today, but everything you’ve published for the last few months.
Take 20 minutes or so and really look at what you’ve been posting lately.
I’ll wait… But don’t be surprised if you find yourself nodding off.
It’s easy to fall into a posting rut.
You sit down in front of the same computer, on the same desk, at the same time every day, and you blog about the same topic.
You start off with all these exciting ideas and then one day you realize that for the past 6 months you’ve written the same post with a different keyword over and over again.
If you’re bored, imagine how bored your readers are.
Maybe it’s time to shake things up a bit and start adding some playful content to your blog.
After all, compelling content is content that grabs your reader and makes him sit up and take notice, not content that inspires him to curl up on the couch for a nap.
How To Be Playful?
1. Be controversial – Look around to see what everyone’s talking about today and than adopt an opposing point of view.
2. Be argumentative – Go back through your recent posts, find one where you expressed an opinion or took a stand on an issue, and then take the opposing viewpoint and argue with yourself.
3. Add an image – If you don’t normally use images, add a high-quality picture to your post today.
4. Be humorous – Personally, I think it’s very difficult to write humorous content and it’s something that’s best left to comedy writers. But, you can watch your Twitter stream or your Facebook wall and if you see a humorous meme or video, see if you can work it into your blog.
5. Be different – If your content is all text, try creating a video or drawing a cartoon or put together a killer infographic. Whatever it is, make it light-hearted, colorful and fun.
6. Step outside your niche – Step just outside your niche occasionally to give your readers a little bit of fun. For example, if you blog in the parenting niche, how about a post with lots of those cute images of babies and puppies that you see on Facebook all the time.
7. Blog design – Do something playful with your blog design. If it’s Christmas, add a Santa Hat or Christmas tree to your header. If it’s Halloween, add a Jack-o-lantern or use an orange font for all your sub-headings. You can even find WordPress plug-ins that make it look like it’s snowing on your blog. Even a small change can brighten the mood, whether it’s a holiday or not.
When you're learning how to blog online for money, you need to understand that the very first step is to create a website. If you're interested in starting your own blog, I have written a step-by-step guide that will show you how to start a blog for as little as $3.49 per month (this low price is guaranteed only through my link). You will also receive your own domain name for free ($15 value) by clicking on this link and purchasing at least 12 months of hosting with BlueHost. Keep in mind that if you're learning how to make money off a blog, the first thing you need is your own self-hosted website. It will help you look more professional in front of your visitors, clients, companies, and everyone else.