Online Time Wasters: Beware Of These 5
If you have been working on the web for more than a week,you are certainly aware of the fact that you can easily spend hours online without getting anything useful done.
That’s probably one of the main issues since we are working on the internet, we are constantly connected to a network full of “good” reasons to waste time.
Here is a list of 5 time wasters you should stay away from:
- Online Newspapers and Magazine: you could probably spend the whole day in front of your computer screen reading the online editions of all the major newspapers out there. Having all these sources of information at your fingertip can make it a real struggle to decide which source of information is worth your time and which one is not. I usually don’t read online wallpapers but I read Google News when I’m in any kind of waiting room.
- Forums: The subject of forums is a little bit more complicated. Indeed, there are a lot of forums which can provide useful information for your online business, you can also use them to promote your products or services. On the other hand they can be huge time wasters if you don’t limit yourself.
- YouTube: This is one of the most obvious online time wasters. Ok, I get it, this video that your friend just sent you via email is really cute with these little kitties. And this other video with a guy falling off his bike and crushing his balls on an handrail is pretty funny. Now you spent 30 minutes watching some related videos… Don’t you think these 30 would have been more productive if they would have been spent working on your latest project?
- Social Bookmarking Sites: Once again, it started innocently by checking one story on the frontpage of Digg, then after a few hours of wandering on this website, you end up reading a story about another conspiracy theory. It’s time to get your shit together and don’t waste your time on useless (even though funny) stories.
- Instant Messengers: This one is my Nemesis. Once I log into Facebook chat, Skype and Live Messenger, I know for a fact that I am going to lose a couple hours chatting with friends I have not seen in months. There is no problem chatting… as long as you do it with moderation or else you’ll end up once again spending countless hours being unproductive while chatting with your friends.
You’ll quickly learn that time is one of your most valuable assets and you should do whatever you can to not waste it browsing useless websites.