Email List Profit: Monetizing Your List, The Right Way
It’s all well and good having an email list, but it’s up to you to actually monetize it. Doing so can be pretty hard – it’s not just a case of sending out a message then counting your cash – it’s all about forming a connection with your subscribers, and promoting products and services in the most subtlest of manners.
Clear spam messages pushing any product under the sun won’t wash with subscribers – so start as you mean to go on and do things properly.
How can I monetize my list?
If you’ve got a list going and you want to monetize it, here are some ideas:
- Promote your own website/web shop selling your own product/service
- Promote products or services through affiliate programs (Clickbank, Amazon, etc)
- Promote a CPA deal or two (not “win an iPhone 4” – something that’s of value to your subscribers)
- Participate in Solo Ads and have some pay you to email your list
Above are just some of the best ways to monetize a list. You won’t realize it until you’ve sent out a few messages and got used to mass mailing, but you’ll find that a list is pretty much like a cash machine (or an ATM, as some of you might call them!).
What you need to be careful of is that you don’t annoy subscribers by promoting too many things to them – if you do this there’s a good chance that they’ll unsubscribe from your list.
Composing messages that make money
It’s not just a case of sending out any old email message, then watching cash roll in. It just doesn’t work like that. Here are some things you need to bear in mind when composing and sending out emails to the people that are on your list.
- Be as concise as possible – people don’t like reading pages and pages of text
- Don’t be too “salesy”
- Promote products or services that are RELEVANT to your list (ie, if you have a list of subscribers interested in SEO, don’t promote weight loss products to them)
- Don’t promote a product in every email – ensure you take time to build up trust and a relationship with your subscribers, between promoting items
- Make sure the messages are spelling error free, and grammatically correct
You’ll find that the more emails you send out, the better you get at it. The fact is that you won’t hit the jackpot with your first email, but it’s important you learn from mistakes and become a better email marketer.
There are simply too many ways to cover to monetize an email list. Often those who think outside of the box are the ones who make the most money with it.
Don’t forget that if you’ve not got your own list, Ad Swaps and Solo Ads are really good ways in which you can hone your skills as an email marketer – and in the process make some money.