Broke Blogger: 10 Reasons Why Your Blog Doesn’t Make Money
While it’s been proven time and time again that it’s possible to make that magical, six-figure income blogging, the sad truth is that many blogs – in fact most blogs – don’t make much money at all. But don’t let that discourage you. I’m going to give you 10 reasons why they don’t make much money so you’ll know what to avoid.
1. Shiny Bauble Syndrome – They lack focus and they’re always looking for the next big project. Problem is – they never complete a project before they move on.
2. Breaking the Rules – They’re greedy and they believe the fastest way to succeed is to game the system and ignore all the rules. They generally end up de-indexed and once that happens…
3. Blogging with Eyes Wide Shut – There’s a wealth of opportunity in blogging but you have to be aware of your surroundings at all times so you can recognize those opportunities when they appear.
4. Not Enough Time – Blogging involves a lot of hard work and long hours. The more time you devote to your blog the faster you’ll succeed. Conversely, the less time you spend on it the longer it takes, and if it takes too long, many bloggers just give up.
5. Not Enough Patience – It’s going to take time and if you’re not motivated to stick it out for at least one to two years you’re not going to make much money.
6. Lack of Writing Skills – Even blogs that rely heavily on videos also have some written content. In blogging it’s all about writing. If you have no writing skills it’s always going to be difficult.
7. Easily Distracted – You’re working at home, alone, in front of your computer. If you’re easily distracted by email, Facebook or your gaming buddies, you’re not going to make it.
8. Wrong Topic – Some blogs are easier to monetize than others. While I believe it’s possible to make money with any blog, why work harder when all you have to do is work smarter?
9. Forgot about the Readers – Without readers your blog will never make money. You need to find them and treat them like gold. Too many bloggers think it’s all about the money and obviously, if you’re not meeting your readers’ needs, it’s not.
10. Unrealistic – Some bloggers get in over their heads thinking they can take on several projects at once. There are only so many hours in a day and quality still weighs in over quantity. Focus on one project at a time and provide over-the-top quality and value.
I could probably come up with at least 10 more reasons why many blogs don’t make much money but they’d eventually fall into one of these 10 categories. So if you’re avoiding these 10 pitfalls, you’re on the right track. Your blog will be one that produces a long-term sustainable income.
When you're learning how to make money off a blog, you need to understand that the very first step is to create a website. If you're interested in starting your own blog, I have written a step-by-step guide that will show you how to start a blog for as little as $3.49 per month (this low price is guaranteed only through my link). You will also receive your own domain name for free ($15 value) by clicking on this link and purchasing at least 12 months of hosting with BlueHost. Keep in mind that if you're learning how to blog online for money, the first thing you need is your own self-hosted website. It will help you look more professional in front of your visitors, clients, companies, and everyone else.