Blog Setup: 15 Practical Tips
Blogging is one of the most popular publishing platforms online, and it’s growing all the time. People from all walks of life are starting blogs, both for fun and profit. Professionals across all industries can use blogs to build an audience and position themselves as leaders in their field.
Setting up a blog isn’t difficult, but it can seem overwhelming to a beginner. While plenty of services allow you to simply sign up and start posting, establishing a blog on your own domain name is a better route, since you’ll have more control over customization, more opportunities to monetize your blog, and you’ll be able to keep all rights to your own content. Here are 15 practical blog setup tips for beginners:
- Choose a niche you are interested and passionate about. You’ll find it much easier to consistently come up with new content ideas and avoid burnout.
- Choose a good domain name that is simple and easy to remember.
- Use a professional, simple theme that will appeal to the kind of visitor you want to attract.
- Set up social media accounts and keep your branding consistent with your blog across all of your accounts. You’ll be able to use social media to share your content and connect with your readers and other bloggers.
- Learn about SEO so you’ll have techniques to use to gain search engine traffic.
- Subscribe to blogs (like this one!) that share blogging tips and news so you can keep learning and hone your skills.
- Be sure to choose a reputable web host. Few things are more frustrating when it comes to blogging than losing traffic or even content thanks to a shoddy hosting provider.
- Update your ping list so that your updates are sent to as many blog directories and search engines as possible when you post new content.
- Determine a posting schedule and stick to it. Blogs that update regularly and predictably have the most loyal followers.
- Set up a FeedBurner feed for your blog. FeedBurner makes your RSS feed a little more user friendly, so it’s easier for your visitors to subscribe.
- Set up and organize your post categories. Doing so makes your website easier for users to navigate and also helps your search engine ranking. Use good keywords as your category titles for the best results.
- Write an “About” page to introduce yourself to your readers and position yourself as an expert on what you’re blogging about.
- Test your blog in various browsers to make sure that it looks great to everyone.
- Install Google Analytics to track your stats and see what kind of content and promotion strategies are providing you with the most benefits.
- Offer email subscriptions so that readers who don’t use RSS can still receive updates.
Once you have your blog set up and ready to go, you can start posting your content! Don’t be afraid to experiment and have fun with how you use your blog – many of the most successful bloggers are popular because they dared to do something a little different without knowing what might come out of it.
These steps provide a good basic starting point, but the fact is there are infinite possibilities with the direction your blog can go.
When you're learning how to blog online for money, you need to understand that the very first step is to create a website. If you're interested in starting your own blog, I have written a step-by-step guide that will show you how to start a blog for as little as $3.49 per month (this low price is guaranteed only through my link). You will also receive your own domain name for free ($15 value) by clicking on this link and purchasing at least 12 months of hosting with BlueHost. Keep in mind that if you're learning how to blog online for money, the first thing you need is your own self-hosted website. It will help you look more professional in front of your visitors, clients, companies, and everyone else.