13 Ways to Promote Your Next Blog Post
OK, this is the tenth post in my series about crafting blog posts. So far we’ve talked about choosing your topic, writing your headlines, crafting an opening line, answering the question “So What?”, effective calls to action, adding depth, quality control, polishing your post before publishing, the timing factor, and a partridge in a pear tree. (Ha! Gotcha!) Now we’re going to talk about promoting your next post because it’s not very effective if nobody reads it, now is it?
In the past I’ve written some pretty killer blog posts and thought to myself, “Self, this is a pretty killer blog post that provides so much value. It would be really cool if I could get it in front of some new readers because then they could see just how valuable my content is and they’d become loyal followers of my blog. But how the heck do I do it? How do I extend my reach?” (See? I even have lengthy conversations with myself.)
13 Ways to Promote Your Next Killer Blog Post – Because you KNOW You Want To
1. Pitch it to other bloggers: Email other bloggers and point out how your post would be relevant for their readers. Only ask for a link if it’s one of your blogging buddies. If it’s not one of your buddies, don’t ask. You’ll just look like a spammer. He knows what you’re after and he’ll link to it if he wants to. NOTE: Only do this with your very best content.
2. Submit it as a guest post: If the mountain won’t come to Mohammed… Submit it as a guest post on a relevant blog with a high volume of traffic.
3. Social messaging: Hit the mattresses, Sonny! Use Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn or whatever you favorite social networks are and start spreading the word.
4. Social bookmarking: Don’t forget social bookmarking sites, too.
5. Internal links: Link to it from high-traffic posts on your own blog and highlight it in your sidebar.
6. Newsletters: Include a link or your newsletter. Better yet, send out an email blast and tell everybody to read this post and share it.
7. Blog comments and forums: Most bloggers think the have to use the link to their homepage when they’re commenting on other blogs but you can use the URL for this killer post you’re promoting. Use it in your forum signatures, too.
8. Email signatures: You probably send dozens of emails every day. Put this link in your signature.
9. Follow-up posts: Write a follow-up post that points to this killer post. If they missed it the first time around, they’ll catch it in the follow-up.
10. Advertising: Create you own ad banner that links to that post. Put it in your own sidebar and ask your friends to do the same. And some PPC advertising is dirt cheap. If you’re feeling brave check out Google AdWords. If you’re less experienced, you can get StumbleUpon traffic for a song.
11. Press releases: Write your own press releases announcing your remarkable new article and publish is in dozens of free online press release sites.
12. Mainstream media: Send an email to your local radio and TV stations, or go to the big national sites. They all need good content, too.
13. Article marketing: Publish some articles at Ezine or ArticlesBase and include links to this killer post in your resource box.
14. Run a contest: Run a contest on your blog. Use RaffleCopter and set up a raffle where your readers earn more “raffle tickets” each time they share, tweet, comment or write their own posts promoting yours killer content. It’s really a pretty cool project.
Whoops! I went a little overboard and gave you 14 instead of just 13. So, now it’s up to you. Since I over-delivered, why not share one of your own promotion secrets. How do you promote an individual blog post when you really want to spread the word?
The final post in this series is coming up next and we’re going to talk about how to have great conversations on your blog.